1940 - 1984        

Royal Air Force Aberporth

Recording the History  -  Recalling the Memories.

Station Head Quarters (SHQ)  Station Standing Orders   About this Site   The Welcome Booklet 1973   A History of RAF Aberporth   A History of RAE Aberporth   A History of 1429 ATC Sqdn     The ATC  Air Displays   BHFU- Bloodhound Firing Unit   BHMk2 Telemetry   PIP Block Diagram The Firing Trials   BHFU Squadron Photographs   Side Loading Fork Lift Truck   Pathe News Film Links   Cabin, Bunk or Room    The Aer Lingus Incident   Station Activities   The Station Closedown- 1984   Rockets Rust in Peace   Sergeants Mess Demolition   UK BH Mk2 Squadrons   65 (SAM) Sqdn - RAF Seletar   RAF Locking-No1 Radio School   BH Mk2  Preservation Group   RAF Slang and Acronyms   Interesting Artifacts   Beautiful Cardigan Bay   Contact Mike   Mike's Shop- Our Sponsor   Things to Come ?  

RAF Aberporth - The Sergeants Mess Demolition

A few weeks after these photo’s were taken on January 12th 2011 the   Sergeants mess was gone, and the ground was back to soil.

Not a brick or panel in sight. Just a pile of hardcore and mud.

The only main buildings left now are the tower and one hanger.

West Wales Airport are due to build a new Hanger, a Hotel and a new reception building on this site.

The small bar Fruit Machine long gone.

Amazingly the bar in the dining room was still there.

The dining room where the dividing doors came across

The new buildings that replaced RAF Aberporth

This is where the main gate used to be. An extended runway means a new roundabout to take traffic further south around the end of the runway

The Mess entrance, in a sorry state

This is the RAF Aberporth site as it looks in the 21st Century. (Or was before the Sergeants Mess was demolished. )

   Now planned to be a centre of excellence for UAV research and development, it’s new name is  Parc Aberporth.

The Sergeants Mess buildings group can be seen top centre below the runway, left of the farm.

The row of houses at the bottom are what were the Officers Married Quarters, now private dwellings.

With the demise of the Sergeants Mess, apart from the control tower, the only other original building left standing seems to be the station “Gymnasium” . (The white building alongside the blue aircraft hanger.)

   The photograph above was taken before the runway was extended, and the road diverted to meet the entrance roundabout.

      A familiar sound during the day, and some nights, is the rise and fall of the sound overhead of a Watchkeeper UAV. Recent flight trials of a Watchkeeper after midnight have been somewhat controversial, as the rise and fall of the engine can be heard across the whole Cardigan district in the quiet of night, especially if one’s house does not have double glazing.

There is a lot of information on-line about Parc Aberporth and Watchkeeper, just Google, Images, Parc Aberporth or simply try these two links.